Face masks are one of the ways to protect yourself and others in the current COVID-19 pandemic. Wearing a mask is suggested by experts during the present global crisis, however, face masks are only effective if worn properly.
An important thing to remember while using face masks is that you should replace and remove masks when they become moist (especially cloth face masks).
Disposable face masks should be used only once and then disposed of after use in a closed dustbin.
You need to follow the correct procedure to put on the face mask and avoid these common mistakes:
- If your mask only covers your mouth (nose and chin remains uncovered), you are wearing it wrong.
- Wearing loose masks - Make sure the face mask fits properly against the side of your face.
- Touching and adjusting your mask when you’re in public.
- Touching the front of the mask to remove it.
- Not properly cleaning/disinfecting before reusing the mask.
Avoid these common mistakes for your safety and the safety of people around you.
Remember to clean your hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer before touching the mask and after removing it. Always follow storage instructions, product instructions, and procedure instructions on how to put on a mask and remove a mask safely.